Saturday, May 10, 2014

Why I Love Dolly Parton

Photo: Dolly Parton on why she stands up for LGBTQ equality: http://ow.ly/wDq7j
Contrary to the prevailing perception in the trans feminine community we have a lot of cis feminine haters, and the predominately white TERF's do their best to reinforce that, we do have many cis feminine allies. 

One of them is iconic country singer Dolly Parton.   The 68 year old Parton not only talks the talk about LGBT acceptance and inclusion, she walks the walk.   I've heard anecdotal evidence that some of the people employed at her Dollywood amusement park in her hometown on Pigeon Forge, TN are trans fam.

While being interviewed by Joy Behar for CNN in 2009, Parton had this to say about why she’s so accepting of her huge LGBT fan base: “We’re not supposed to try to change people. We should allow people to be who they are and love them for who they are.”

Pressed by Behar as to what her thoughts were on the marriage equality issue, Parton replied, “I always say, ‘Sure, why can’t they get married? They should suffer like the rest of us do.’”

Parton wrote the theme song 'Travelin' Thru' for the 2005 movie Transamerica that received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song.  It resulted in her receiving death threats from some nekulturny idiots pissed off about its blend of Jesus' story and uncompromising acceptance of trans people..    

Dolly is the godmother of Miley Cyrus and like Oprah, has also faced rumors she was a lesbian despite being married for 48 years to her husband Carl Dean.   She has a longtime deep friendship with a female friend that dates back to third grade that the rumor mongers point to as their 'evidence' she's part of the LGBT family. 

"Like Gayle [King], her friend, Judy, my friend...they just think that you just can't be that close to somebody," Parton said in an interview. "Judy and I have been best friends since we were like in the third and fourth grade. We still just have a great friendship and relationship and I love her as much as I love anybody in the whole world, but we're not romantically involved."

Parton also talks about the time she entered and lost a drag queen celebrity lookalike competition. "They had a bunch of Chers and Dollys that year, so I just over-exaggerated -- made my beauty mark bigger, the eyes bigger, the hair bigger, everything," she said, laughing. "So I just got in the line and I just walked across, and they just thought I was some little short gay guy...and I got the least applause!"

So yep, I have much love for Dolly Rebecca Parton, just as she has much love for girls like us.

No comments: