Monday, August 27, 2012

Leaving New York

Well Texans, I'm about to type the words y'all love to see me write anytime I'm doing one of these out of town trips and write posts about them.

Moni's on her way back to Houston.

Had a wonderful and informative time while attending the 2012 GLAAD National POC Media Institute and I learned some things that will serve me well in future public speaking engagements and media opportunities.

I also highly recommend that POC rainbow community activists who wish to improve their public speaking skills and media presence consider attending it when the application process opens up for the ones that will take place in New York and Los Angeles next year.

To the peeps attending the 2012 Los Angeles one September 7-9, you're in for a treat.   

I got to at least see one of my girls like us while I was here in Janet Mock. Unfortunately I just missed connections with others but I'm confident we'll see each other somewhere down the line either at a conference or the next time my travels bring me to New York.   

And speaking of travels to New York, the clock is ticking,  it's getting close to time for me to check out of my hotel and make the return trip to Hobby via Chicago Midway.   

I leave here with tools to make me a better activist communications wise, being able to connect faces with the names of some of the people I have communicated with at GLAAD and seeing firsthand how hard they work to improve the media images of people of color.   The bonus was leaving here with a few more friends than I had when I arrived.

I also get to rest for a few weeks before I make another trip to the East Coast in September for the 2012 edition of Out On The Hill

Later New York.   Time for me to head back to the Lone Star State 

No comments: