Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Stop Misgendering Brittney Griner


You longtime TransGriot readers know how much I love basketball, especially the women's game since they don't get as much love as the guys do.  You know I'll be parked in front of the television tonight awaiting the start of the NCAA women's title game between the unbeaten Baylor Lady Bears and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

I have also been keeping up with the rise of my Houston homegirl Brittney Griner ever since I first heard about her slam dunking her way through local girls high school competition as she led her Aldine Nimitz high school team to the state 5A basketball championship game.  I've also railed about the derogatory and misgendering comments that have been hurled at her by the gender ignorant because Brittney because she's not only 6'8" but also has a deep voice.

As I said in a previous post, who died and made y'all the Femininity Police?

This post was inspired by me being more than a little pissed by the crack made by J. Anthony Brown during yesterday's broadcast of the Tom Joyner Morning Show about Brittney's voice and the ensuing ignorance of people texting the show in response to it..

Bottom line is I'm tired of the gender ignorance coming from elements of you directed at Brittney and women ballers in general.  There's more than one way to present and be a woman and as my gender therapist Dr. Collier Cole once told me, women come in all shapes and sizes.

So yeah, chill with the misgendering comments aimed at Ms Griner.

No comments: