Friday, March 02, 2012

GLAAD Spotlights The EBONY.com Article

I met GLAAD's Communities of African Descent Field Strategist Kimberley McLeod during last year's Out On The Hill conference in Washington D.C.

I was talking to her at one point about my frustrations about the lack of coverage of African-American transpeople in the media and my desire to get the conversation started in our iconic media outlets like EBONY, Jet and ESSENCE like it was starting to happen for Black SGL people 

I guess Kimberley remembered that conversation because she asked me to write a piece for GLAAD during Black History Month that became the genesis for the article that appeared at EBONY.com   

She was also very happy to learn about EBONY.com publishing my piece on their website and let the folks at GLAAD.com know about it.

Thanks Kimberley for the invitation to write a Black History Month post, and hope I and other Black trans writers get to tell our stories in more of our iconic magazines and news outlets so that we can continue to break down the disinformation and outright lies circulating about trans people in elements of the African-American community.

And thanks to everyone who continues to show me love on that piece.


No comments: