Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Shipley's Donuts Turns 75!

One of the things I missed about Houston and have happily gotten reacquainted with since I moved back home is Shipley's Donuts.

Shipley's is our local iconic donut chain that is such an institution in H-town that when Krispy Kreme tried to enter this market in 2000, they found out they couldn't overcome decades of history with Houstonians and pulled out of this market in 2006.

Krispy Kreme didn't have kolaches on their menu either which was another reason they got slammed in this area..

I have a Shipley's location right up the street from the house in easy walking distance, but since I busted my behind to get my Coke bottle shape back, I'm not going overboard on them like I used to.   Back in the day I'd inhale a dozen without thinking about it or gaining an ounce, but now since my metabolism has slowed down as a estrogen based lifeform, I have to think about it. 

But I will admit to indulging my need for donuts and getting a half dozen glazed or chocolate ones every now and then.

I'm going down donut memory lane again because I discovered while perusing their Facebook page that Shipley's is celebrating its 75th anniversary this year.

I know I've done my part to keep Shipley's in business for most of the 75 years they've been here along with generations of Houstonians and the folks in the rest of Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma where they have stores as well. . .   

So happy 75th birthday Shipley's!   May you have many more and I'll be picking up a half dozen glazed donuts very soon.




No comments: