Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Trans Free BET Who's Who In Black GLBT America List

I was shocked that BET.com even puts out such a list, so just out of curiosity I decided to see which peeps they chose for their 'Who's Who In Black GLBT America'.

And as I suspected, out of the 33 people selected, there were no trans brothers or transsisters on it.

And no BET and rest of world, a Black New York based drag artist does not equal to transman or transwoman. Kevin Aviance is a drag artist

While I'm happy for the people that did make it such as Jasmyne Cannick, it speaks once again to how invisible Black trans people are, even in our own damned community.

There's a transman who is the board chair of the National Black Justice Coalition in Kylar Broadus. I've talked about Dr. Marisa Richmond on more than a few occasions on this blog.

But once again the Black trans community gets shut out.

I'm in agreement with my sis Dionne Stallworth. It's time that we Black trans people really start tooting our horns, seriously raise our profiles, compile our history, interview and pump up our people and fight for our place in the GLBT spotlight.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting more than a little sick of getting dissed, erased and ignored by the entire fracking GLBT community Black and White.

1 comment:

Zoe Renee said...

I feel that we're horribly misrepresented, misunderstood, and possibly worse; underestimated! I have gone through some major changes in my life and am ready and able to stand on the front lines to make people aware and respect us! Keep up the fantastic work Monica on filling us with the knowledge!