Sunday, March 18, 2007

Happy Birthday Vanessa Williams!



On this day in 1963 Vanessa Lynn Williams was born. Her parents announced her birth with a prophetic statement: 'Here she is, Miss America!'

She not only fulfilled her parents prophecy by becoming the first African-American Miss America but has built an enviable career for herself in the process. Vanessa has graced Broadway stages, television, Hollywood and the recording industry and racked up numerous awards in the process.

She's currently playing the delightfully backstabbing Wilhemina Slater on ABC's Ugly Betty.

Happy Birthday, Vanessa!

3 comments:

Dharma Kelleher said...

I've never been a fan of celebrities for celebrity sake (e.g. Paris Hilton, etc.), particularly winners of beauty pagents like Miss America.

Vanessa Williams earned my respect through her wonderful acting and singing talents. She is wonderful!

Peace,
Dharmashanti

Monica Roberts said...

It's a little different for me. I grew up in a state (Texas) in which pageants are televised live in prime time.

Pageants also have a different spin in the African-American community. They not only to showcase our beauty and intelligence but are used as springboards by their winners to do other things.

Antone Thatcher said...

I just wanted to say Happy 45th Birthday Vanessa Williams! I have been a fan of yours for many years and I think you are so beautiful! I love and enjoy watching your videos especially the "DREAMIN" video; which is my favorite... It is so beautiful and it is so meaningful.
Happy Birthday, Vanessa!
Peace...